319 Hecht House
Ph.D. 1997, Florida State University; Criminology and Criminal Justice
M.S. 1992, The Florida State University; Criminology
Dual B.S. 1988, Florida State University; Criminology and Psychology with a minor in Black Studies
- Theory and dynamics of racism and crime
- Ethnicity and methodology
- Juvenile justice
- Minority over-representation
- Race, crime, and sports
- Racial profiling and biased policing
- Close, Billy R. and Mason, Patrick Leon (September 2007) "Searching for Efficient Enforcement: Officer Characteristics and Racially Biased Policing,", Review of Law & Economics: Vol. 3: No. 2, Article 5.
- Close, Billy R. and Patrick L. Mason (December 2006) "After the Traffic Stops: Officer Characteristics and Enforcement Actions", Topics in Economic Analysis & Policy: Vol. 6: No. 1, Article 24.
- Close, Billy R., et. al (2008) Florida Council on the Social Status of Black Men and Boys: 2007 Annual Report, Study and Report Commissioned by the Florida Legislature (Section 16.615, Florida Statutes) and the Office of the Attorney General.
- Co-authored with Brian Williams (2008) (Forthcoming) "Perceptions of Bias-Based Policing: Implications for Police Policy and Practice," Racial Divide: Racial and Ethnic Bias in Criminal Justice, edited by Michael J. Lynch, E. Britt Patterson and Kristina K. Childs , Criminal Justice Press, Monsey, NY.
- Close, Billy R. (2007) "Bridging the Gap Between Diversity and Social Justice: Personal and Pedagogical Insights from Courses on the Intersection of Race and Crime," Letters from the Future: Linking Students and Teachers with the Diversity of Everyday Life (180- 205), Stylus Publishers.
- Close, Billy R. and Patrick Mason, Ph.D. (2002) Traffic Stop Data Analysis: The Florida Highway Patrol and Racial Differences in Traffic Stops and Driver Treatment, Study and report commissioned by Florida Department of Transportation. Project Number: FT-02-24-01, Contract Number: AL521.
- Traffic Stop Data Analysis: The Florida Highway Patrol and Racial Differences in Traffic Stops and Driver Treatment, $75,000, commissioned by Florida Department of Transportation. Project Number: FT-02-24-01, Contract Number: AL521 (Total Award 2002 – present.
- Florida State University Community/University Partnership Program (Brotherhood of Pride Academy), $438,165 Funded through HRS and FSU, 1993-95.
- Florida State University Black Graduate Student Summer Orientation Program, $628,125, Funded through BOR/FL Legislature, 1989-2003.
View complete vita - PDF format